PVE TBC Frost Mage DPS Guide (Short)
TBC Mage Guide
Welcome to our PVE Frost Mage guide for WoW TBC. This guide will show you what you need to know to DPS as a Frost Mage in dungeons and raids. This guide covers everything from talents to consumables.
Frost is not considered a top tier raid spec in TBC. It’s generally accepted as the PVP spec but it can bring a lot of utility to a raid group due to it’s ability to kite.
Gems can change based on your build, equipment and caps. You may need to adjust your gems to account for your gear.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyfire Diamond
- Red: Runed Crimson Spinel (Runed Living Ruby)
- Blue: Glowing Shadowsong Amethyst (Glowing Nightseye)
- Yellow: Veiled Pyrestone (Veiled Noble Topaz) or Reckless Pyrestone (Reckless Noble Topaz)
Blue gems are only worth it to activate your meta gem. After your meta gem requirement has been met fill blue sockets with red gems.
You may need to adjust your enchants to your gear.
- Head: Glyph of Power
- Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Orb or Greater Inscription of Discipline
- Back: Subtlety
- Chest: Exceptional Stats
- Bracers: Spellpower or Major Intellect
- Gloves: Major Spellpower, Spell Strike or Blasting
- Legs: Runic Spellthread or Mystic Spellthread
- Boots: Boar’s Speed
- Weapon: Major Spellpower or Soulfrost
If you pick up enchanting you can benefit from Enchant Ring – Spellpower on both rings.
- Hit cap 164
- Spell Haste
- Spell Damage
- Spell Critical Strike
Hit cap is 164 as long as you have Elemental Precision providing an extra 3% hit.
Summon Water Elemental is a huge DPS boost for you but he is hard to keep alive. Summon Water Elemental benefits from Bloodlust if he is summoned before it is cast so make sure to time that accordingly.
Below is a list of consumables which help in any raid.
- Potion: Super Mana Potion, Destruction Potion
- Elixir: Flask of Pure Death
- Oil: Brilliant Wizard Oil and Superior Wizard Oil
- Food: Blackened Basilisk or Crunchy Serpent or Poached Bluefish
- Misc: Mana Emerald, Flame Cap
- Drums: Drums of Battle, Drums of Restoration
- Tailoring – Tailoring is great for fresh level 70’s because you can make the Spellfire and Spellstrike sets which will only be replaced by T4 or T5.
- Enchanting – Enchanting both of your rings with Spellpower will give you 24 extra spell power! You can also save money by enchanting your own gear.
- Leatherworking – This gives your raid the best bonus by crafting Drums of Battle. This is mainly for late game and not t4 raids.
- Alchemy – Alchemy allows you to make Sorcerer’s Alchemist Stone which is pretty strong. You can also create your own consumables.
- Jewelcrafting – Great gold making choice and you can make your own gems early on.