The Dodgy Kebaab has a pretty interesting take on how Official Blizzard Classic servers will affect the private server scene. This topic came up on our Discord server and I figured I would share his take on it with you guys.
One interesting perspective was the affect it would have on TBC & Wrath servers. The idea being, when live WoW players play Vanilla for a few months, they may get an urge to try out the expansions. Considering there won’t be a Blizzard option for these expansions, they may turn to private servers. This will increase the population on those servers considerably.
A lot of people live in countries with unfavorable USD exchange rates. This means that some people will still have to play on private servers, so we shouldn’t see the vanilla servers simply die off.
I think what this means overall is that the scene will still exist. The exposure will probably bring new players in as well. Personally, I will be playing classic for some time and hoping that blizzard releases the other expansions but only time will tell.
This is just a great clip that I ran across today and wanted to share with you guys. This guy is on point. Some pretty refreshing world pvp.
Here is the druid PoV: https://youtu.be/LMSrqrJs1CY?t=82
From MMO Champ:
- Classic became possible because the team discovered a way for it to run on modern infrastructure.
- Classic servers will not have the features added to current WoW such as Dungeon Finder.
- The team ran old school Scholomance with the Nostalrius build.
- They have some infrastructure stuff in place and a build up and running for reference.
- The main part of the job is the infrastructure before tackling the design questions.
- No development will be taken away from Battle for Azeroth for Classic. A new team is being hired for this project.
- Brack can’t say whether it will be months or years for the release.
- Some players will return just for a nostalgia trip.
- The team wants to provide a constant social connection and community.
- These servers have full commitment now and will not be ditched if they are not popular.
- Blizzard has maintained contact with Nostralius and are considering involving some of their team in the process.
- Blizzard wants the launch experience of Classic to be smooth and successful.
- The experience will be as identical to Vanilla WoW as possible, but they are not sure at which point in the patch life cycle of the original game it will take place.
- The team wants to create a Blizzard-quality experience of the original game.
- Sounds great so far. No QoL changes yet, which means they are staying faithful to the original experience.
Question: For example, with the Intellect buff, is it important to you that players do need to drink after casting it?
J. Allen Brack: Yes. That’s part of the level 60 experience. Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay.
This was from a EuroGamer Interview.