PVE TBC Fire Mage DPS Guide (Short)
TBC Mage Guide
Welcome to our PVE Fire Mage guide for WoW TBC. This guide will show you what you need to know to DPS as a Fire Mage in dungeons and raids. This guide covers everything from talents to consumables.
Fire is generally accepted as the best raid spec in TBC. It has the most flexibility, variations and synergy. This spec can top meters and really shine.
This is the standard build until you get good gear. The general rule is to use this spec until you have enough gear to not run out of mana on boss fights with Icy Veins.
This is the highest damage build but it burns through mana like crazy. Once you have the mana to use this spec, it’s definitely the way to go.
Below is the core talents for fire, if you want to tinker with a build this is the starting point you should work from.
Gems can change based on your build, equipment and caps. You may need to adjust your gems to account for your gear.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyfire Diamond
- Red: Runed Crimson Spinel (Runed Living Ruby)
- Blue: Glowing Shadowsong Amethyst (Glowing Nightseye)
- Yellow: Veiled Pyrestone (Veiled Noble Topaz) or Reckless Pyrestone (Reckless Noble Topaz)
Blue gems are only worth it to activate your meta gem. After your meta gem requirement has been met fill blue sockets with red gems.
You may need to adjust your enchants to your gear.
- Head: Glyph of Power
- Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Orb or Greater Inscription of Discipline
- Back: Subtlety
- Chest: Exceptional Stats
- Bracers: Spellpower or Major Intellect
- Gloves: Major Spellpower, Spell Strike or Blasting
- Legs: Runic Spellthread or Mystic Spellthread
- Boots: Boar’s Speed
- Weapon: Major Spellpower
If you pick up enchanting you can benefit from Enchant Ring – Spellpower on both rings.
- Hit cap 164
- Spell Haste
- Spell Damage
- Spell Critical Strike
Hit cap is 164 as long as you have Elemental Precision providing an extra 3% hit.
Every fire mage in the raid should be contributing to keep Improved Scorch on the target at all times. You should be able to cast 5-8 Fireball‘s and then 1 Scorch. The amount will depend on your haste rating and how often you have to move during the fight.
Below is a list of consumables which help in any raid.
- Potion: Super Mana Potion, Destruction Potion
- Elixir: Flask of Pure Death
- Oil: Brilliant Wizard Oil and Superior Wizard Oil
- Food: Blackened Basilisk or Crunchy Serpent or Poached Bluefish
- Misc: Mana Emerald, Flame Cap
- Drums: Drums of Battle, Drums of Restoration
- Tailoring – Tailoring is great for fresh level 70’s because you can make the Spellfire and Spellstrike sets which will only be replaced by T4 or T5.
- Enchanting – Enchanting both of your rings with Spellpower will give you 24 extra spell power! You can also save money by enchanting your own gear.
- Leatherworking – This gives your raid the best bonus by crafting Drums of Battle. This is mainly for late game and not t4 raids.
- Alchemy – Alchemy allows you to make Sorcerer’s Alchemist Stone which is pretty strong. You can also create your own consumables.
- Jewelcrafting – Great gold making choice and you can make your own gems early on.